Distributed Generation Rebate Program
The City of San Marcos Distributed Generation Rebate Program encourages installation of grid-tied renewable energy systems such as solar photovoltaic (PV) and wind systems. The Distributed Generation Rebate Program is open to all City of San Marcos electric utility customers with an account in good standing.
How it Works
- Before purchase and installation of renewable energy system, customer contacts the City of San Marcos Electric Utility to schedule a free energy audit and renewable energy inspection. Single-family homes to be served by the renewable energy system must meet minimum energy efficiency criteria in order to qualify for the rebate.
- Customer chooses a qualifying renewable energy contractor. Solar contractors must have at least one staff member certified as a PV Installer by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners or that has completed the initial NABCEP certification training and is actively working towards completing their certification. All contractors must be registered with the City of San Marcos Permit Center.
- Customer submits completed Rebate Application (PDF) to the Electric Utility, along with a site layout/diagram showing the proposed installation, and proposed equipment specification sheets.
- City staff will review application and funds availability, and issue a Letter of Approval to proceed with purchase and installation of the renewable energy system.
- Contractor submits permit application to the City of San Marcos Permit Center. Permit application must include a one-line electrical diagram.
- Upon approval and issuance of a permit, the contractor may proceed with installation.
- After project is completed, contractor contacts the Permit Center to schedule the final inspection.
- Within 30 days after final inspection/approval, and no more than 90 days after the date of the Letter of Approval, customer submits itemized invoices, warranty information, and a signed interconnection agreement to the San Marcos Electric Utility.
- After receiving required information, rebate check will be mailed to customer.
For more information email Devin Hussey or call 512-393-8308.