Downtown Design Guidelines and Architectural Standards
Project Updates and Upcoming Events:
The City hosted a second series of outreach and events in December 2020 to gather input on the draft downtown design standards and guidelines which will regulate the look and feel of buildings in downtown San Marcos. We want to thank all who participated in these events! A summary of the input received can be found here.
A Final Draft is being created incorporating the community input. This final draft will be presented to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council for consideration and adoption. More information on the final draft and how to participate in the upcoming meetings can be found here.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, February 9 at 6 p.m. Virtual - Planning and Zoning Commission Public Hearing and Consideration of Final Draft. (The Planning and Zoning Commission Recommended approval of the Final Draft with amendments as outlined here)
- Tuesday, February 16 at 3 p.m. Virtual - City Council Work Session (CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER)
- Tuesday, March 2 at 6 p.m. Virtual - City Council Public Hearing and 1st Reading of Final Draft
- Tuesday, March 16 at 6 p.m. Virtual - City Council Final Consideration of Final Draft @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
About the Update to the Downtown Design Guidelines and Standards
- Massing of larger buildings to promote compatibility with traditional scale of downtown;
- Variety in articulation of facades to be more in scale with design traditions;
- Treatment of building materials;
- Street level design to provide sense of place and activate the public realm; and
- Transitions from higher density zones to abutting sensitive edges. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>