COSM Operating Procedures
City Facilities No Longer Require Masks
The City of San Marcos revised its personal protection requirements inside City facilities and in outdoor public settings following Governor Greg Abbott’s Executive Order GA-36 signed on May 18, 2021. As of May 19, face coverings are optional, not required, for employees and visitors regardless of vaccination status.
The changes align with new guidance issued by the CDC and Order GA-36 which prohibits local government entities from imposing mask mandates in public areas.
“We have followed CDC guidance as we’ve made decisions for the safety of residents and staff throughout the pandemic, and it makes sense to continue that practice now,” said City Manager Bert Lumbreras. “These changes restore individual personal freedom and the right to make choices while maintaining consistency with CDC guidelines and Governor Abbott’s latest order. I commend the responsible actions taken by our community over the past 15 months and encourage everyone to take advantage of vaccine availability for the safety of themselves and others.”
All City public facilities reopened on March 3, including park pavilions and picnic areas following closure to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Capes Park, Thompson’s Island, and Rio Vista pool remain closed.
Anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms is discouraged from entering a City facility, park, or recreational area. Various service options are available for customers interested in handling City business remotely. Group meetings may be scheduled in person or remotely on a case-by-case basis.
- Activity Center: Visitors are welcome at the Activity Center without a reservation, except when using the pool. Pool reservations may be made at sanmarcostx.gov/wwpool. The Activity Center is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a one-hour closure from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. each day for sanitizing. The facility is closed Thursday and Sunday. For more information visit http://sanmarcostx.gov/activitycenter or call 512.393.8280.
- Animal Shelter: The Animal Shelter is operating on its normal schedule. The Intake/Reclaim is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Adoption Center is open M, T, Th, F, Noon to 7 p.m.; Sat., Noon to 5 p.m. It is closed each Wednesday and Sunday for deep cleaning. For more information, visit http://sanmarcostx.gov/203/Animal-Services or call 512.805.2650.
- City Clerk: Appointments are available for passports or birth/death certificates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. To book an appointment, visit the City Clerk website. For more information call 512.393.8090.
- Engineering & Capital Improvements: Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Email the firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512.393.8130 to schedule an appointment.
- Library: Friday, May 21 will be the last day for curbside service. Following construction, Library stacks will reopen Monday, May 24 with occupancy limited to 200 people at a time. Regular hours, used prior to COVID-19, will resume: Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Meeting rooms will not be available for reservation or use. All in-person programs will be held outside in the courtyard. Tickets or pre-registration will be required, and attendance will be limited. Computers, Wi-Fi, and printing services will be available. Masks are encouraged, but not required. For more information, visit the library website or call 512.393.8200.
- Main Street: Open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located in the Chamber of Commerce Building, 202 N CM Allen Parkway. Call 512.393.8430 or email email@example.com.
- Municipal Court: Public counter located in the Hays County Government Center, 712 S. Stagecoach Trail, open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 512.393.8190 or visit the Municipal Court website.
- Planning & Development Services: Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For Development Services information, email email@example.com or call 512.805.2630. For Planning information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512.393.8230.
- Public Works: Transportation/Stormwater, Fleet, Facilities, Transit/Parking Management, and Airport offices are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tourist Information Center: Open Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Utilities: Water/WW and Electric Utility offices are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Schedule appointments with Electric Engineering customer support by calling 512.393.8302.
- Utility Billing: Drive-thrus and counters available, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Municipal Building, 630 E Hopkins and at the SMEU Building, 1040 Hwy 123. Please visit Utility Customer Service website, call 512.393.8383 or email email@example.com.
- WIC Offices: Offices will continue curbside service only while federal waivers remain in place. Call 512.393.8040, email WICinfo@sanmarcostx.gov or visit WIC's website.