- Minimum Requirements - Ensure you meet all requirements before submitting the registration application.
- Registration Application - The process involves first completing an online employment application to register for the Police Officer Entrance Exam. When this process is complete, you will be provided with a confirmation email. Until you receive this email, the process is not complete and you are not registered.
- Civil Service Examination - This is a written test consisting of multiple choice questions covering subjects such as cognitive skill, reading comprehension, and memory skills.
A study guide is available for purchase through the Public Safety Compass.
Applicants who have a score of 70 or more may receive an additional 5 points for either two years prior civilian law enforcement experience or two years prior honorable military experience. Supporting documentation must be submitted in the application process to receive additional points.
- Physical Fitness Assessment - Review Physical Fitness Video for demonstration.
- Personal History Statement - The police officer Personal History Statement (PDF) is the key document for our background investigation of police applicants. It is recommended that you begin completing this document as soon as possible. The following documents may be required to complete the personal history statement: Birth certificate, naturalization documents, high school transcripts, diploma or GED, College/university transcripts and diplomas for all schools attended, marriage licenses, divorce decrees, peace officer license, driver's license and military discharge DD-214. Review and read ALL instructions before starting to complete the Personal History Statement. The personal history statement will be due on November 20th at 5 p.m. from candidates successfully passing the written test and physical agility.
- Background Investigation - Family members, references, acquaintances, past employers and co-workers are interviewed, and a review is conducted of military and school records, driving records, credit history, and any other area the investigator deems appropriate.
- Polygraph Exam - This interview is typically conducted by the SMPD polygraph examiner
- Oral Interview Board - The interview panel is composed of 5 officers from various assignments around the department including the Chief or his representative. The candidate will respond verbally to questions asked by the members of the panel which are designed to allow the panel to determine the communication skills, qualifications and character of the candidate. Questions asked during the interview will range from situational-based topics to questions arising during the background investigation.
- Conditional Offer of Employment - A conditional offer of employment will be made to applicants who pass the oral interview.
- Psychological Exam and Interview - A psychological examination is a TCOLE requirement. We use an independent psychologist for this examination.
- Medical Exam / Drug Screen - A pre-employment physical is required for this position. The examination will be performed by a city selected licensed physician.