The City of San Marcos, Texas State University and the City of Kyle are calling on volunteers to register for the 35th Annual Great Texas River Clean Up, which takes place March 7 from
8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. This annual event aims to pick up litter along all 90 miles of the San Marcos River.
New this year: the Great Texas River Clean Up is going state-wide. Keep Texas Beautiful is dedicating March to cleaning Texas waterways and is encouraging communities to organize a waterway cleanup.
Those who would like to participate in the upper San Marcos portion of the annual clean up (Sewell Park to Stokes Park) should visit http://bit.ly/GTRCUsignup2020 and select one of the 12 available watershed locations. Participants can also contact Keep San Marcos Beautiful at 512.393.8419 or email email@example.com.
To take part in the lower San Marcos River portion (Stokes Park to the Guadalupe River), contact Tom Goynes at 512.787.5574 for more information.
Watershed locations and headquarters (http://bit.ly/GTRCUmap2020):
- Purgatory Creek 1– Gravel St and Mitchell St.
- Purgatory Creek 2 – 1808 Hunter Rd.
- Cottonwood Creek – Far N.W. Corner of Premium outlets behind Zegna Outlet
- Sessom Creek – 151-2 E. Sessom Dr.
- Sink Creek – 1600 N. LBJ Dr.
- Willow Creek – 320 Mariposa St.
- San Marcos River 1 – 170 Charles Austin Dr.
- San Marcos River 2 – 520 N I-35 Frontage Rd.
- Plum Creek – 628 Abundance Lane
- Blanco River Village – Morning Shadow and Newberry Trail
- Blanco Shoals – 1111 Avalon (back corner of The Avenue Apartments)
- Five Mile Dam – 4440 S Old Stagecoach Rd.
On cleanup day, volunteers should check in at the watershed headquarters at 8:30 a.m., sign in, and meet up with their team leaders to receive supplies and instructions. Volunteers will receive a breakfast taco and then pizza for lunch. T-shirts are offered on a first come, first served basis.
The event could not happen without the generosity of the following donors: Abatix, Carson Properties, Edwards Aquifer Authority, Guadalupe Blanco River Authority, H.E.B./Central Market, Honda San Marcos/David Cook, Jacob’s/CH2M, Keep Texas Beautiful, San Marcos Chamber of Commerce, San Marcos Lions Club and Sur-Powr Battery.
The annual cleanup event is sponsored by the Texas River Protection Association, City of San Marcos, Keep San Marcos Beautiful, Habitat Conservation Plan, Texas State University and City of Kyle.
For more information about event sponsorship, call Amy Kirwin at 512.393.8419 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay up-to-date with the Annual Great Texas River Clean Up by following the event Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GreatTexasRiverCleanUp).
For media inquiries, contact email@example.com.