The City of San Marcos, with assistance from the Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee and local veterans’ organizations, will be hosting a month of service opportunities for the community to honor all who have served. These opportunities will replace the traditional Veterans Day Parade the City hosts each year.
The public is encouraged to decorate their home, vehicle, bike, and/or place of business with flags, bunting, yellow ribbons, and other patriotic items for the month of November. The public is also encouraged to turn their porch light green for the month for the “Greenlight a Vet” initiative.
Each week a different service activity will be promoted:
- November 1-7 – Honor a Veteran: Submit a photo of a veteran you wish to honor to email@example.com with the name and a brief description of that person. An album will be created on the SMTX Community Services Facebook page to include submitted photos and descriptions. The honorary Grand Marshal will also be included in the album.
- November 8-14 – Donate to Wreath’s Across America: Donations made will go towards a holiday wreath being placed on gravesites of veterans buried in the City of San Marcos Cemetery on December 19, 2020.
- November 15-21 – Write a letter: The public is encouraged to write a letter to a veteran living in a Texas State Veteran Home. The Veterans Land Board Mail Drop program allows us to show appreciation for a Veteran, their service and dedication to our great nation.
- November 22-30 – Donate to the Hays County Food Bank: The Hays County Food Bank along with the VFW Post #3413 and the Hays County Veterans Service Office will host a Veterans Food Assistance Distribution on October 24, November 29, and December 19. A list of foods to donate along with instructions on how to donate them can be found on the Hays County Food Bank website. When dropping the food items off, please include a note that the food is for the Veterans Food Assistance Distribution. Food items can also be ordered on Amazon and delivered to the Food Bank. Monetary donations can be made online at the Hays County Food Bank's donation website or by mailing them a check.
Honorary Grand Marshal Nominations
Nomination forms for the 2020 Honorary Grand Marshal must be completed online. Nominations must include the full name and relevant details of the individual’s military service, along with detailed contact information, including a telephone number. The nomination form is posted on the city website www.sanmarcostx.gov/parade. The nomination deadline is October 23.
Criteria for nomination include:
- Must be a San Marcos area resident
- Must have served in the U.S. military during a time of military conflict
- Must have been honorably discharged from the service
- Must be willing to share his or her military service memories
For additional information about the Month of Service initiative and links to the partner organizations visit www.sanmarcostx.gov/parade.