The City of San Marcos will celebrate Arbor Day throughout the month of November with tree giveaways, educational presentations, and volunteer opportunities.
Events this month include:
- Arbor Day in a Box Program: local public schools receive materials and trees –week of Nov. 2.
- SMEU Tree Giveaway, San Marcos Public Library, 625 E Hopkins, Nov. 2 (10 a.m. -1 p.m.)
- Tree Walk at the Discovery Center, 430 Riverside, Nov. 9 (10 a.m. – 11 a.m.)
- Friends of Trees Program at Willow Springs Park, Nov. 16 (9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)
- Blanco River Riparian Recovery Presentation, San Marcos Public Library, Nov. 19 (6 p.m. – 7 p.m.)
- Arboretum Unveiling at Discovery Center, 430 Riverside, Nov. 28 (4 p.m. – 5 p.m.)
Arbor Day is celebrated in November in Texas because fall is the best time to plant and establish trees given the conditions presented by our climate.
Trees can reduce erosion of soil by wind and water, cut heating and cooling costs, moderate the temperature, clean the air, produce life giving oxygen, and provide valuable wildlife habitat. They also increase property values, enhance the economic vitality of business areas, and beautify the community.
For more information about other tree programs, please contact Keby@sanmarcostx.gov or register to volunteer at volunteermark.com.