Do I need to be a licensed paramedic to take the Civil Service Exam?

Depends on the particular hiring process. You must at least hold a Texas Department of State Health Services DSHS Emergency Medical Services Certification but the level of EMT can change each hiring process. The hiring requirements will be outlined with each hiring announcement posted on the City of San Marcos HR page.  

If you have any questions about your status with the Department of State Health Services, contact them through Texas DSHS Website.


Show All Answers

1. What is the fire department work & pay schedule?
2. Do you have/host a fire academy?
3. Can I pick up an application now? How do I apply?
4. Do you take applications throughout the year?
5. Can I transfer my state fire certification from another state to Texas?
6. Will I get paid more if I have a degree?
7. Is there an age limit to apply?
8. If I am already a certified Firefighter, will I have to go through firefighting training?
9. Do I have to be a certified Texas Firefighter?
10. Do I need to be a licensed paramedic to take the Civil Service Exam?
11. Is there one civil service test for all the cities in Central Texas?
12. Where can I obtain study material for the civil service test?
13. Can I volunteer as a firefighter in the City of San Marcos?
14. Where can I find general certification FAQs from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)?